httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Ian K. Harrell" <firema...@trificient.net>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] directory indexin
Date Wed, 02 Jul 2003 03:31:09 GMT

Additional information that I forgot to include in the original email.
In the error log file I get a lot of messages of the following:

/home/fireman71/public_html/firefighting/rescue/.htaccess unable to
check htaccess file

This is what was making me think that for some reason apache is looking
for a htaccess file in every directory instead of letting the htaccess
file in the parent directory of firefighting control the subdirectories.

I also got an [error] directory index forbidden by rule: /var/www/html

No idea what this is relating to or trying to tell me. The only thing in
/var/www/html is the default pages for apache and all the website
requests that I am sending when this occurs are in user directories.

Again, Thanks
Ian K. Harrell
Fireman71@trificient.net

-----Original Message-----
From: Ian K. Harrell [mailto:fireman71@trificient.net]
Sent: Tuesday, July 01, 2003 10:40 PM
To: users@httpd.apache.org
Subject: [users@httpd] directory indexin

Greetings all,

I have just recently setup a PC with RedHat 9.0 and Apache 2.0.40 that
came with it. Its been awhile since I last used Linux and apache so I am
trying to get back into the swing of things.

The apache server is going to be running a private (if there can ever be
a truly private) website for me and one other person that I work with to
coordinate scheduling and share information about upcoming projects.

I have been working on this for about a week now and I am running into a
few problems. I will only address the problems on the list singularly as
I would like to fix one thing before moving on to the next to help me be
certain that I understand everything.

Anyways, On to the first problem:   Directory Indexing

I have configured apache to allow each user a public_html area. Under
that directory I have set up another directory which will contain files
and subdirectories that I would like to have indexed. I have all the
permissions set correctly as far as I can tell. (world read and execute
on all files and directories). Sample directory structure is as follows:

public_html
    --> firefighting (this is a directory)
           general_course_list.txt (this is a basic text file)
            --->Hose Streams and Appliances (another directory)
            --->Personal Protective Equipment (and another directory)

When going into this directory to retrieve the index the only thing I
can see is the text file. None of the other directories show up.

In httpd.conf I have the following:
<Directory "/">
	Options Indexes
	AllowOverride all
</Directory>

and in the firefighting directory under public_html I have the following
.htaccess file:

Options +Indexes
IndexOptions FancyIndexing

>From what I can read in the documentation for Apache the htaccess file
should apply to all subdirectories even if the root directory wasn't set
to allow indexing. But the subdirectories aren't showing up. Just the
one file in the firefighting directory.

Also, before anyone asks :), I HAVE restarted the apache server so the
configuration file would be read in after I changed it. In fact I even
rebooted the PC a few times. All with the same results.

Any one see anything that I am missing or doing wrong?

Many thanks in advance,
Ian K. Harrell
Fireman71@trificient.net