httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Jeff Cohen" <supp...@gej-it.com>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] strange problem with /icons alias and FollowSymLinks
Date Wed, 23 Jul 2003 01:35:30 GMT
First of all, can't mix trailing slashes with non-trailing slashes.
I know that Apache default installation comes with a mix for the icons
folder, it is in purpose, if you'd have:
Alias /icons/ /usr/bar/icons/
<Directory /usr/bar/icons>
</Directory> = that's fine
But, you have specified that the Directory directive will have a trailing
slash, you said to the configuration: http://domain.com/icons  = *file* does
not exist! Why? Because apache knows about an Alias name /icons/ and not
/icons, by default apache will try and look for a file.
FollowSymLinks, will force apache to make the request to that folder to be
the exact as the server path, which is a content into the alias.
For ref.
http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/mod/core.html#options

All the best,
Jeff Cohen