httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Jeff Cohen" <supp...@gej-it.com>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] Configuration Questions
Date Tue, 22 Jul 2003 03:09:34 GMT
Answer for question 1:
I think I answered this thread before, in order to create a "virtual
directory" (=a directory which is in a different location than the root
directory of the site\server) you should make a "pointer" to it where you
say: Alias /sites c:/sites that will mean that whoever is going to go to
http://www.server.com/sites will actually be viewing the content of c:/sites
on your server.

If you want to make c:/sites as your root tree, you should change
DocumentRoot variable to: DocumentRoot c:/sites.
That will serve the pages in the address: http://www.server.com without the
"virtual directory"

Is it more understandable for you now?

Answer for questions 2:
LoadModule status_module modules/mod_status.so
That will tell the apache web server, load this module next time you start
(start means re-read the config files).

The quotation that you mentioned just explaining that win32 user do not have
to recompile the apache source like *nix user due to the fact that win32 are
in most cases has the same variables for the system itself, so when a module
will look for a DLL file, win32 system knows to point and process the
request within the DLL folder which is in most cases is
c:\%WIN_DIR%\system32 .
That means that a win32 user do not *HAVE* to recompile apache's source
tarball from scratch every time he wants to add a new module, because the
modules in apache's source are for multiple systems and each system has it's
own system files, config, or variables.

Hope I helped you in away to understand it :)

All the best,
Jeff Cohen
Support@GEJ-IT.com
Tel. (416) 917-2324