httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Jeff Cohen" <supp...@gej-it.com>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] Newbie Install Questions
Date Mon, 21 Jul 2003 02:11:56 GMT

CAY6M4,
> followed by "Version IIS V5.1." I disconnected it.
>
> When I type http://localhost/ into Mozilla, I still get a
username/password
> request, while IE still opens up two IIS pages.
>
> Next, I went into Program Files > Apache Group and found two folders,
> Apache and Apache2. I'm not sure if that's the way it's supposed to be, or
> if one folder is left over from Apache 1.3.
>

> I opened Apache > conf > httpd.conf and found the following relevant
> information:
>
> Port 8080
> ServerAdmin david@localhost
> ServerName localhost
> DocumentRoot "C:/Program Files/Apache Group/Apache/htdocs"
>
> but I get the same username/password request when I type http://localhost/
> into my browser.
>

> And here's what I found in Apache2 > conf > httpd.conf:
>
> Listen 8080
> ServerAdmin GeoBear@geobop.com
> ServerName www.geobop.com:8080
> UseCanonicalName Off
> DocumentRoot "C:/Program Files/Apache Group/Apache2/htdocs"
>

> So I'm not sure why I can't view http://localhost/  My hunch is that I
> haven't successfully disabled IIS or I'm hamstrung by some sort of Windows
> but or security system. Or have I messed up my Apache installation?
>
> Thanks.

To disable IIS from running on port 80, go to Start->Settings->Control
Panel-> Administrative Tools->IIS Manager->add your computer back in->Expand
the tree-> Rightclick on Default Web Server-> Stop!

That should stop the web on port 80 from running at least.
Now, you mentioned something about the SMTP service, do you use it as your
SMTP server or you don't know why it's there?
If you do, then its ok.
If you do not use it, I would suggest removing IIS all at once, to do that
go to Control Panel-> Add\Remove Programs-> Add\Remove Windows Components->
uncheck the checkbox where IIS is, not only the web, ALL OF IT, because its
stincks! (And I'm the M$ Certified :=) )

Good luck and all the best,
Jeff Cohen
Support@GEJ-IT.com
Tel. (416) 917-2324