httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Ian K. Harrell" <firema...@trificient.net>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] directory indexin -- SOLVED
Date Wed, 02 Jul 2003 19:21:34 GMT
Turning AllowOverride off fixed the problem!

Whew, I can stop banging my head against the table now~

A big thank you to everyone who helped me with this issue, I really
appreciate it!

THANK YOU!!
Ian K. Harrell

-----Original Message-----
From: Joshua Slive [mailto:joshua@slive.ca]
Sent: Wednesday, July 02, 2003 11:47 AM
To: users@httpd.apache.org
Subject: Re: [users@httpd] directory indexin

On Wed, 2 Jul 2003, BAO RuiXian wrote:
> Hmm, obviously, you still have a .htaccess in
>
> 	/home/fireman71/public_html/firefighting/rescue/
>
> Refer #3 in the following.

> > 3 - error log is still giving me:
> > [Wed Jul 02 08:23:13 2003] [crit] [client 192.168.1.101]
(13)Permission
> > denied: /home/fireman71/public_html/firefighting/rescue/.htaccess
> > pcfg_openfile: unable to check htaccess file, ensure it is readable,
> > referer: http://192.168.1.50/~fireman71/firefighting/

No.  This error indicates that apache cannot determine whether or not an
.htaccess file exists.  In this case, it denies access for security
reasons.  (If it can't prove that the directory is not protected, it is
better not to serve it.)

Here's what I'd try.  As root, su to the User and Group specified in
httpd.conf.  Then
cd /home/fireman71/public_html/firefighting/rescue
ls -la
ls -la .htaccess

That essentially replicates what apache needs to do to check for
.htaccess.  If you get an error message doing this, you need to fix your
permissions.

The easiest way to solve this problem (though I haven't read the whole
thread, so I don't know if it is appropriate for you) is to simply set
"AllowOverride off" for these directories.  That will prevent apache
from
checking for .htaccess files at all.

Joshua.