httpd-users mailing list archives

From w@evjohn.com
Subject [users@httpd] Sharing files via the web
Date Fri, 27 Jun 2003 00:20:54 GMT
I am a customer of a hosting service that uses Apache servers.  Their tech
support cannot answer this question:

I want to upload a file (such as an Excel spreadsheet or a word processing
document),  to my website and have others be able to use the application
(Excel, WordPerfect, etc.)  to open the file, make changes to it and save
the file, overwriting the one on the server.

I have not been able to get any application to be able to write the file
back to the server.  Files always opens in read-only mode.  If I attempt to
write the file back to the server, I am asked for a user name/password.  It
appears that it is asking for the site username/password (the one I use to
access my control panel or FTP to the site), but it will not accept that
one.  Or perhaps it does accept it, but I am told I do not have the "rights
to do this."

The hosting service's tech support says this is beyond the scope of the
support they provide.  I have tries playing around with .htaccess without
success.

How can I accomplish this?  I can have FrontPage extensions installed or
not if that makes a difference.

Many thanks for any help.