httpd-users mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Re: Opening an EXCEL document in browser
Date Mon, 30 Jun 2003 15:46:37 GMT

[It would be better if you set your character set to something
the most people could read before posting...]

On Mon, 30 Jun 2003, [iso-8859-7] ????? ?????? wrote:

> Thanx for replying
> but mime.type file (wich is in /etc dir) looks fine and contains the
> "application/vnd.ms-excel xls" definition.
> httpd.conf is fine too and points to the mime.typ file!
> Netscape/Mozila dont ask me also what to do as they ought (save or open). I
> change my code to download the file to users disk.

If you are still seeing junk in the browser, then this is almost certainly
a mime-type problem.  Have you inspected the actual response from the
server:

telnet yourhost 80
HEAD /path/to/file.xls HTTP/1.1
Host: yourhost

(two "returns" on the end).

Or look at the page-info screen in Mozilla.  Or give us the URL so we can
take a look.

Joshua.