httpd-users mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] pipelined requests
Date Thu, 26 Jun 2003 18:12:47 GMT

On Thu, 26 Jun 2003, Kelly, Terence wrote:
> Regarding the issue of queued replies following
> parallel completion of requests, the problem is
> with the HTTP/1.1 protocol specification.

I knew I should have phrased that example better.

Out of order replies are not the whole problem.  Imagine if all 4 cgi
scripts wrote output at the same time.  Regardless of the order question,
the server would still need to queue three of them.  The efficiency loss
from such queuing would almost surely overwhelm any benefit of
simultaneous execution.

Joshua.