httpd-users mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] mod_rewrit (sic)
Date Sun, 22 Jun 2003 21:46:16 GMT

On Sun, 22 Jun 2003, Donna Robinson wrote:
> .htaccess (of course).  Here 'tis in all its glory:
> # set the include path
> php_value include_path "/home/donna/www/php"
> # prepend these files to every .html file
> php_value auto_prepend_file "funcs.php"
> # redirect all calls to /php/loader.php
> RewriteEngine on
> RewriteRule !\.(ico|gif|png|css)$ /home/donna/www/php/loader.php

> Having experimented somewhat, I find that it's the call to mod_rewrite that is
> stuffing things up.  However, unless I am to rebuild the site from scratch,
> it's kindof essential.  The logs show a 500 error (internal server error, I
> looked it up), followed by some other number (a byte offset??), and nothing
> else of help.

Exact quotes of error messages are always preferable.

> I don't believe this - try typing "mod_rewrit" or
> "Rewrit/1.1a" into google, and you will see 99% of the guys out there
> offering hosting have exactly this spelling.

I see no evidence for that statistic.  I see around 100 hits on mod_rewrit
(many of which are obvious typos) and more than 70,000 on mod_rewrite.
Personally, I have never heard of mod_rewrit.  You should ask your ISP for
details.  If they can't or won't provide them, you should probably find
another ISP.

But anyway, there are lots of different ways to accomplish the same thing
as that RewriteRule.  A couple ideas:

1. Action text/html /php/loader.php

2. Try a positive RewriteRule, rather than a negative.  (Include all the
different extensions you want mapped to the loader.)

3. Call loader.php in funcs.php.

I'm sure there are many others.

Joshua.