httpd-users mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Newbie Question: Does mod_dir require mod_mime?
Date Tue, 17 Jun 2003 18:40:05 GMT

On Tue, 17 Jun 2003, Aaron Spike wrote:
> Let me make apparent my ignorance in another area: configure/make.
> Does that mean that it isn't possible to automagicaly build a custom
> configuration file for non-default installs using configure/make? If
> I had the time and knowledge could I submit a a patch to the
> configure script and makefile in the apache source tree that would
> intellegently create a custom httpd.conf for a custom install? Or is
> that sort of customization just not possible with configure/make?
> better suited for a seperate script. (a little off topic, isn't it?)

configure and make call plenty of little scripts to do this kind of work.
They already do a bunch of customization in terms of pathnames and things
like that.

The <IfModule> directives in httpd.conf are there to make things mostly
work with or without various modules, so I'm not sure exactly what kind of
customizations you are talking about.

Personally, I'm of the opinion that the default config file is to be used
for a default install.  When you change the default install, you should
expect to need to change the default config.  But people interested in
improving the install process are always welcome.  You should discuss your
ideas on dev@httpd.apache.org.

Joshua.