httpd-users mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Newbie Question: Does mod_dir require mod_mime?
Date Tue, 17 Jun 2003 14:50:28 GMT

On Tue, 17 Jun 2003, Aaron Spike wrote:
> A bit unclear on my part. If I configure apache with --disable-
> module=negotiation, make all and make install. The whole gamut of
> multilingual 'index.html's are installed. That is index.html.en,
> index.html.de, index.html.es, etc. But there is no "index.html". So
> with no negotiation and "DirectoryIndex index.html" I can't see a
> default page unless I refer to it explicitly and include the language
> extension. So my issue is with the install. "Make install" should
> know that files with extensions for language negotiation are useless
> without mod_negotiation enabled, if that is possible.

There is no way that is ever going to happen.  The default configuration
of apache works if you install with the default options.  If you choose to
install with non-default options, then you must also change the default
configuration.  In any case, the index.html.* files have no real purpose
in life anyway; you might as well just delete them.

> The worst part
> is that --disable-module=negotiation renders the online manual
> useless until I do "for file in `ls *.en`; do mv $file
> ${file%\.en};done" in a few directories.

Again, the docs are designed to be viewed through the server with a
near-default configuration.  If you don't like that, you have plenty of
other choices, including downloadable docs in several formats:
http://www.apache.org/dist/httpd/docs/
(We're still working on a new pdf version and single-language html
versions.)

Joshua.