httpd-users mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Newbie
Date Mon, 09 Jun 2003 21:39:58 GMT

On Mon, 9 Jun 2003, David Blomstrom wrote:
> Thanks for the feedback; it helps a lot, though I'm not sure what you mean
> by running both servers at the same time. Do servers run in the background
> automatically, similar to anti-virus software? Or do they only run when
> you're previewing webpages?

Yes, they usually run in the background as a "Windows Service".  (Although
apache can be run from the command line; see the docs on using apache
under windows.)

> If they run automatically, then IIS is running on my computer right now,
> and if I download and install Apache on Drive C, it will start running
> automatically, too - right?
>
> So the next step is to set either Apache or IIS to a non-standard port? And
> if I screw something up or can't figure out how to use Apache, I'd just
> remove Apache from my hard drive, and IIS would kick in again?

Something like that.  But are you sure IIS is even running?  When you test
webpages, do you see http://... in the URL bar or do you see file://...
If it is the latter, you aren't using a server at all.

> Finally, if I had both servers running at once, and I wanted to preview a
> web page (I use both Dreamweaver and FrontPage), would I then choose which
> server I want to use to preview the page?

One of them needs to run on a non-standard port, which you would then need
to include in your url, as in http://yourcomputer.example.com:8080/ where
8080 is the port.

No offense intended, but you seem to be lacking some basic knowledge about
both your OS and how the web works.  If you feel like playing, then go for
it, and you'll figure things out.  But you might be better off heading
down to the store and buying a couple good books on IIS and Apache to get
you started.  You'd probably save yourself alot of time.

Joshua.