httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Mukta A. Telang" <mu...@darya.nio.org>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] .htaccess is not getting parsed!
Date Wed, 04 Jun 2003 00:29:56 GMT
Hi,
I am new to apache..
I could not understand the tips that you have given..

> 1) The most likely, the AllowOverride is not in the right scope. Make
> sure that the AllowOverride refers to the directory that you are
> actually working with. It will likely be in a container that looks like:
> <Directory /home/*/public_html>

which directive determines the scope of "AllowOverride" ?
I found following COMMENTED lines in httpd.conf:

# Control access to UserDir directories.  The following is an example
# for a site where these directories are restricted to read-only.
#
#<Directory /home/*/public_html>
#    AllowOverride FileInfo AuthConfig Limit
#    Options MultiViews Indexes SymLinksIfOwnerMatch IncludesNoExec
#    <Limit GET POST OPTIONS PROPFIND>
#        Order allow,deny
#        Allow from all
#    </Limit>
#    <LimitExcept GET POST OPTIONS PROPFIND>
#        Order deny,allow
#        Deny from all
#    </LimitExcept>
#</Directory>

Is this what you were refering to?

> 2) The .htaccess file is not readable by the Apache user. (Usually
> 'nobody' or 'apache'. See the User directive for more details.)

Apache user in my case is nobody.
I have made .htaccess readable by everyone by giving:
chmod ugo+r .htaccess
still the problem persists..
What should I do?
Please help,