httpd-users mailing list archives

From Rich Bowen <rbo...@rcbowen.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] .htaccess is not getting parsed!
Date Tue, 03 Jun 2003 13:41:06 GMT
On Tue, 3 Jun 2003, Mukta A. Telang wrote:

> Hi,
> I am new to apache..
> I could not understand the tips that you have given..
>

> > 1) The most likely, the AllowOverride is not in the right scope. Make
> > sure that the AllowOverride refers to the directory that you are
> > actually working with. It will likely be in a container that looks like:
> > <Directory /home/*/public_html>
>
> which directive determines the scope of "AllowOverride" ?
> I found following COMMENTED lines in httpd.conf:
>
> # Control access to UserDir directories.  The following is an example
> # for a site where these directories are restricted to read-only.
> #
> #<Directory /home/*/public_html>
> #    AllowOverride FileInfo AuthConfig Limit
> #    Options MultiViews Indexes SymLinksIfOwnerMatch IncludesNoExec
> #    <Limit GET POST OPTIONS PROPFIND>
> #        Order allow,deny
> #        Allow from all
> #    </Limit>
> #    <LimitExcept GET POST OPTIONS PROPFIND>
> #        Order deny,allow
> #        Deny from all
> #    </LimitExcept>
> #</Directory>
>
> Is this what you were refering to?
That particular AllowOverride directive (if it was not commented out, of
course) would be in effect in the scope of <Directory
/home/*/public_html> - ie, all directories that match that pattern.

By scope, I mean what <Location> or <Directory> or <Files> section the
directive is located in, and whether this applies to the files or
directory that you are working with.

> > 2) The .htaccess file is not readable by the Apache user. (Usually
> > 'nobody' or 'apache'. See the User directive for more details.)
> >

> Apache user in my case is nobody.
> I have made .htaccess readable by everyone by giving:
> chmod ugo+r .htaccess
> still the problem persists..
> What should I do?

If you would like to put your configuration file on your web site and
send me the URL, I'd be glad to look through it and give you hints as to
where the problem may lie. You'll also need to remind me where the
.htaccess file is placed (ie, what directory it lives in) as I have
deleted the earlier email messages.

--
Rich Bowen - rbowen@rcbowen.com
... and another brother out of his mind, and another brother out at New