httpd-users mailing list archives

From Rich Bowen <rbo...@rcbowen.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] .htaccess is not getting parsed!
Date Mon, 02 Jun 2003 11:32:41 GMT
On Mon, 2 Jun 2003, Mukta A. Telang wrote:

> Hi,
> I want to install phpPgAdmin and dont want other users to be able to
> access files from my public_html directory.
>
> I could not find access.conf file but found AllowOveride directive for
> .htaccess file in httpd.conf file. So I set it to:
>
> AllowOverride Authconfig
>
> In the .htaccess file I placed following lines:
>
> AuthName "restricted stuff"
> AuthType Basic
> AuthUserFile /usr/local/etc/httpd/users
> require valid-user
>
> And restarted apache...
> but did not get the expected...

Several things could be happening here.

1) The most likely, the AllowOverride is not in the right scope. Make
sure that the AllowOverride refers to the directory that you are
actually working with. It will likely be in a container that looks like:
<Directory /home/*/public_html>

2) The .htaccess file is not readable by the Apache user. (Usually
'nobody' or 'apache'. See the User directive for more details.)

--
Oh I have slipped the surly bonds of earth
And danced the sky on laughter-silvered wings