httpd-users mailing list archives

From j.knowl...@mgn.co.uk
Subject Re: [users@httpd] rewrite/url munging question
Date Wed, 13 Aug 2003 10:56:51 GMT

Is there a (simple) relationship between the customers-site.com and the
physical directory path on the filesystem (and if so, what is it?) and does
foo.bar.com resolve to the same physical server as customers-site.com (will
eventually do so).  I think you would be able to do what you want using
mod_rewrite if both these things are true...

James.

|         |           Nathan           |
|         |           Ollerenshaw      |
|         |           <nathan@valuecomm|
|         |           erce.ne.jp>      |
|         |           09/06/2003 10:24 |
|         |           users            |

  |       To:       users@httpd.apache.org
                                       |
  |       cc:
                                       |
  |       Subject:  [users@httpd] rewrite/url munging question

Hi there,

I'm wondering if anyone has any ideas on the following;

I need to be able to take a url like

   http://foo.bar.com/customers-site.com/...

and have the server rewrite internally to

   http://customers-site.com/...

(The reason for this is that when a customer creates an account on our
system, we want them to be able to 'see' a version of their site right
away, without waiting for DNS to work)

I've thought of a few ways, but they all seem rather complex or too
heavy.

One way, the simplest, was to simply stick an Alias for each site in
the VirtualHost for each customer. But, that seems messy.

Another way I thought would be to use mod_rewrite, however I think to
do this, I will need mod_proxy installed.

I've tried a few things with mod_rewrite, but they don't work for
various reasons.

Anyone done this and able to share their solution? Or at least, an idea
of what I could do.

Regards,

Nathan.

--
Nathan Ollerenshaw - Systems Engineer - Shared Hosting
ValueCommerce Japan - http://www.valuecommerce.ne.jp

In the days, When we were swinging form the trees
I was a monkey, Stealing honey from a swarm of bees
I could taste, I could taste you even then
And I would chase you down the wind

********************
IMPORTANT NOTICE  This email (including any attachments) is meant only for the intended recipient.
It may also contain confidential and privileged information.  If you are not the intended
recipient, any reliance on, use, disclosure, distribution or copying of this email or attachments
is strictly prohibited. Please notify the sender immediately by email if you have received
this message by mistake and delete the email and all attachments.

Any views or opinions in this email are solely those of the author and do not necessarily
represent those of Trinity Mirror PLC or its associated group companies (hereinafter referred
to as "TM Group"). TM Group accept no liability for the content of this email, or for the
consequences of any actions taken on the basis of the information provided, unless that information
is subsequently confirmed in writing. Although every reasonable effort is made to keep its
network free from viruses, TM Group accept no liability for any virus transmitted by this
email or any attachments and the recipient should use up-to-date virus checking software.
Email to or from this address may be subject to interception or monitoring for operational
reasons or for lawful business practices.

Trinity Mirror PLC is the parent  company of the Trinity Mirror group of companies and is
registered in England No 82548, with its address at One Canada Square, Canary Wharf, London
E14 5AP.