httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Dave [Hawk-Systems]" <d...@hawk-systems.com>
Subject [users@httpd] Symbolic link not allowed
Date Mon, 02 Jun 2003 22:58:10 GMT
apache 1.3.19 installed on two servers.
all logs go into user's root directory /home/JoeSchmoe/.logs
we run web stats analyzer against their logs and put into
/home/JoeSchmoe/.stats/JoeDomain.com
their DocumentRoot is /home/JoeSchmoe/JoeDomain

we wish to give them access to view the web stats online

on one server we simply symlink /home/JoeSchmoe/JoeDomain/webstats to
/home/JoeSchmoe/.stats/JoeDomain.com and it works like a charm

on the other server we get Forbidden error, and checking the log files "Symbolic
link not allowed"

what I don't understand is all this logging, stats, and linking is performed by
a priveledged user, with all the group ownerships set to JoeSchmoe's private
group on both servers.  Changing the ownership of the files and links to nobody
(web user) doesn't help matters.  At a loss only because the servers are
virtually identical other than that and a 8 month build time seperation.

Any insight or suggestions would be apprecaited.

Dave