httpd-users mailing list archives

From ruler...@optonline.net
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Sharing files via the web
Date Fri, 27 Jun 2003 00:30:15 GMT
Hello w,

wec> I am a customer of a hosting service that uses Apache servers.  Their tech
wec> support cannot answer this question:

wec> I want to upload a file (such as an Excel spreadsheet or a word processing
wec> document),  to my website and have others be able to use the application
wec> (Excel, WordPerfect, etc.)  to open the file, make changes to it and save
wec> the file, overwriting the one on the server.

wec> I have not been able to get any application to be able to write the file
wec> back to the server.  Files always opens in read-only mode.  If I attempt to
wec> write the file back to the server, I am asked for a user name/password.  It
wec> appears that it is asking for the site username/password (the one I use to
wec> access my control panel or FTP to the site), but it will not accept that
wec> one.  Or perhaps it does accept it, but I am told I do not have the "rights
wec> to do this."

wec> The hosting service's tech support says this is beyond the scope of the
wec> support they provide.  I have tries playing around with .htaccess without
wec> success.

wec> How can I accomplish this?  I can have FrontPage extensions installed or
wec> not if that makes a difference.

wec> Many thanks for any help.

wec> The official User-To-User support forum of the Apache HTTP Server Project.
wec> See <URL:http://httpd.apache.org/userslist.html> for more info.
wec> For additional commands, e-mail: users-help@httpd.apache.org

Through FTP, chmod <directory> 777

This will make the file word writable, readable, and executable.

Hopefully this helps.

--
Best regards,
 rulerpen                            mailto:rulerpen@optonline.net