httpd-users mailing list archives

From Forrest Aldrich <for...@forrie.com>
Subject [users@httpd] VirtualHost _default_:* not working?
Date Tue, 03 Jun 2003 20:57:22 GMT

I'm trying to set a catch-all page that will be displayed, should something
be pointed to my server (which hosts a few pages) for which it has no
content.  For example, there might be a valid dns record that points here,
but the page isn't hosted any longer, thus I want a 404 to come up (and
will add more detail later, once I get this working).

So, in the Apache Server Unleashed book, it explains the use of the
_default_:* directive.  I set this to:

<VirtualHost _default_:*>
     DocumentRoot /usr/local/apache/htdocs/default
</VirtualHost>

But, the default page that comes up is the page for the primary system root
page /usr/local/apache/htdocs, not what I specified above.

Does this directive have to be after the rest of the VirtualHost
directives, or am I doing this incorrectly?

All of the VirtualHost entries I have are via NameVirtualHost, ie: they
have the same IP, but different ServerName entries.

Thanks,
Forrest