httpd-users mailing list archives

From David Blomstrom <GeoB...@geobop.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Newbie
Date Mon, 09 Jun 2003 21:32:01 GMT
I asked, "If I install Apache server software, will it replace the IIS
server that comes with Microsoft XP, or will I have two servers that I can
choose between? How much damage could I do if I make a  mistake while
installing it? I wondered if I might not be able to preview my webpages if
I make a mistake installing Apache."

Joshua replied, "You can install both servers with no problem.  But only
one server can listen to each IP-Address/Port combination.  So if you want
to run them both at the same time, you'll need to set one of them to a
non-standard port.  (In apache, you can do this with the Listen directive.)"

Thanks for the feedback; it helps a lot, though I'm not sure what you mean
by running both servers at the same time. Do servers run in the background
automatically, similar to anti-virus software? Or do they only run when
you're previewing webpages?

If they run automatically, then IIS is running on my computer right now,
and if I download and install Apache on Drive C, it will start running
automatically, too - right?

So the next step is to set either Apache or IIS to a non-standard port? And
if I screw something up or can't figure out how to use Apache, I'd just
remove Apache from my hard drive, and IIS would kick in again?

Finally, if I had both servers running at once, and I wanted to preview a
web page (I use both Dreamweaver and FrontPage), would I then choose which
server I want to use to preview the page?

Thanks.