httpd-users mailing list archives

From David Blomstrom <GeoB...@geobop.com>
Subject [users@httpd] Newbie
Date Sat, 07 Jun 2003 23:18:27 GMT
Hi, I'd like to learn about Apache, PHP and MySQL. I'm pretty clueless
about all three and would like to ask some really basic questions about
Apache before I take the plunge.

My primary interest is in designing webpages. I'd also like to be able to
lease a dedicated server some day. My operating system is Windows XP. I
have Linx Redhat installed on another hard drive, but I haven't learned how
to use it yet.

I downloaded a pre-configured package including Apache, PHP and MySQL
("firepages phpdev") from
http://www.hotscripts.com/PHP/Software_and_Servers/Installation_Kits/ , but
I haven't installed it yet. Before I do, I need a better understanding of
this stuff - and I don't even have a clear understanding of what a server is.

So here are my questions: If I install Apache server software, will it
replace the IIS server that comes with Microsoft XP, or will I have two
servers that I can choose between? How much damage could I do if I make a
mistake while installing it? I wondered if I might not be able to preview
my webpages if I make a mistake installing Apache.

I browsed a tutorial that described installing Apache on an E drive. I have
an external hard drive that I use for backing up my files. Can I install
Apache, PHP and MySQL on that drive, then choose between previewing my
webpages on my C drive (ISS) and previewing them on the external drive (ISS)?

Eventually, I'd like to install Apache on my Linux drive - after I find the
time to learn how to use Linux.

Finally, I read this: "The base Apache Web server package does not include
support for Java, Java Server Pages, Enterprise Java Beans, or Java
servlets. Those features are available as add-ons from the Apache/Java
project site, <URL:http://jakarta.apache.org/>."

Does that mean that when I preview my pages, JavaScript functions - like
the sortable tables at
http://www.geobop.com/world/na/topics/history/statehood/ - won't work,
unless I install some add-ons?

Thanks.