httpd-users mailing list archives

From Laurent Blume <laurent.bl...@infores.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Opening an EXCEL document in browser
Date Fri, 27 Jun 2003 13:26:22 GMT
csebe@fx.ro wrote:
> MS IE integrates with MS Office Applications throught the OLE mechanism (you
> can start an application in another), a MS proprietary technology. So, when
> MS receives an excel doc, it starts MS excel and let you use it inside IE.
>
> I doubt Netscape/Mozzila guys were even interested in adding this
> functionality, probably due to the fact they want the Navigator's engine to
> be as portable as possible, between OS's. (in fact, originally their Win32
> browser was ported from *NIX where no OLE is available but noone complains
> ;-)
>
> Therefore your Netscape displays your document as a text one with strange
> chars on screen.

No, that's not the problem.

Netscape/Mozilla is unable to open an Office inside the browser, but it
is able to recognize its type, and ask whether to save it or open it
with the proper application.

The main difference is, IE doesn't care about the MIME type, but ONLY
about the extension.
That is, if you have an URL ending in .XLS, IE will ALWAYS open it with
Office, whatever its MIME type and real content, even if Apache says its
content is text/plain.

Mozilla does care about the MIME type, and won't recognize a .XLS file
as an Office file if its type is not correctly sent by the browser.
If Apache says it's text/plain (the default), it will be displayed as
weird chars in the browser.

So your problem here is definitely with MIME.

There should be that line in the file conf/mime.types (it is there on a
default Apache install):

application/vnd.ms-excel	xls

And that one in conf/httpd.conf:

TypesConfig conf/mime.types

since both are default, I never had to check them, and it always worked.

HTH,

Laurent