httpd-users mailing list archives

From Jim Walls <k6...@earthlink.net>
Subject [users@httpd] Virtual hosts problem
Date Fri, 06 Jun 2003 03:55:20 GMT
I know that problems with virtual hosts gets discussed regularly and
this may be answered in the archives, but after looking at what felt
like almost every E-Mail on this lists that includes virtualhost in it
(there are HUNDREDS).

I have a small Apache based web site here at my house that has been
operating just fine a http://www.k6ccc.org  I have another site I am
trying to set up using name-based virtual host.  This is Apache version
2.40 (yes, I know I need to upgrade that) under Windows 2000 Pro as a
service.  Following the instructions almost verbatum from the manual for
virtual hosts, I added the following to httpd.conf file.  After stopping
  the Apache service and restarting it (using the Apache Service Monitor
dialog box), I get an error message in a popup box that says "The
requested operation has failed!".  There are no messages in any log file
about it.  If I copy the backup version of the original to httpd.conf,
the Apache service starts just fine so I'm assuming that I screwed
something up when I created the virtual hosts.

Anyone see what I messed up on this?

----- excerpt from httpd.conf -----
# Ensure that Apache listens on port 80
Listen 80

# Listen for virtual host requests on all IP addresses
NameVirtualHost *

<VirtualHost *>
   ServerName www.k6ccc.org
   ServerAlias k6ccc.org *.k6ccc.org
   DocumentRoot "C:/Program Files/Apache Group/Apache2/htdocs/k6ccc.org"
</VirtualHost>

<VirtualHost *>
   ServerName www.w6sce.org
   ServerAlias w6sce.org *.w6sce.org
   DocumentRoot "C:/Program Files/Apache Group/Apache2/htdocs/w6sce.org"
</VirtualHost>
----- end of excerpt -----

Thanks
Jim Walls - K6CCC