httpd-users mailing list archives

From Nathan Ollerenshaw <nat...@valuecommerce.ne.jp>
Subject [users@httpd] rewrite/url munging question
Date Mon, 09 Jun 2003 09:24:34 GMT
Hi there,

I'm wondering if anyone has any ideas on the following;

I need to be able to take a url like

   http://foo.bar.com/customers-site.com/...

and have the server rewrite internally to

   http://customers-site.com/...

(The reason for this is that when a customer creates an account on our
system, we want them to be able to 'see' a version of their site right
away, without waiting for DNS to work)

I've thought of a few ways, but they all seem rather complex or too
heavy.

One way, the simplest, was to simply stick an Alias for each site in
the VirtualHost for each customer. But, that seems messy.

Another way I thought would be to use mod_rewrite, however I think to
do this, I will need mod_proxy installed.

I've tried a few things with mod_rewrite, but they don't work for
various reasons.

Anyone done this and able to share their solution? Or at least, an idea
of what I could do.

Regards,

Nathan.

--
Nathan Ollerenshaw - Systems Engineer - Shared Hosting
ValueCommerce Japan - http://www.valuecommerce.ne.jp

In the days, When we were swinging form the trees
I was a monkey, Stealing honey from a swarm of bees
I could taste, I could taste you even then
And I would chase you down the wind