httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Laus, Ryan J." <laus...@cmich.edu>
Subject [users@httpd] Page Will Not Display After Modifications
Date Wed, 18 Jun 2003 14:35:58 GMT
Hello everyone,

I tried posting about this problem before but never received a response
back from anybody.  Have been trying to figure this out for about a
month now.  I Was able to gather some more information so maybe someone
could possibly help.

Currently running Apache 2.0.46 on AIX 4.3.3.  The problem we are having
is whenever someone edits a web page (either directly on the server or
on a local machine and then FTP the page to the server) and tries to
view that page, we get a "Page cannot be displayed" error for about 4
minutes.  After 4 minutes the page will magically be viewable.

I then did some packet captures to see what was actually happening
between the web server and the client.  After the changes have been made
to the page, the client will try to GET the web page.  The next packet
back from the server is a FIN ACK packet, which starts the TCP teardown
sequence, which is why the "Page cannot be displayed" comes up.  This
goes on for around 4-5 minutes.  Then, all of the sudden, the HTTP GET
packet works and the server acknowledges back with a "HTTP/1.1 200 OK"
and the page can then be viewed.  Any following requests will then get
the "HTTP 1.1 NOT MODIFIED 304", which is fine since the page is now
cached on the local client.

This also only seems to happen on somewhat larger html files 10k+.  The
file we have used for testing is around 14k which is around the same
size as most of our web page.  We have made just simple html files and
can edit them and view them right away without any problems.

We have also installed Apache 2.0.46 on another AIX 4.3.3 box and have
had the same problem.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated!!!!!!  Thanks!

Ryan Laus