httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Aidan Whitehall" <AidanWhiteh...@Fairbanks.co.uk>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] Equivalent of IIS custom 404
Date Tue, 24 Jun 2003 14:43:32 GMT
Thanks for the reply, Robert.

> Well, did it show up in the access log?

This is in the error log
 [snip] File does not exist: pathToWebRoot/go/casestudies, referer:
http://localhost/
and this entry in the access log
 [snip] "GET /go/casestudies HTTP/1.1" 200 21016 "http://localhost/"
"Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1; .NET CLR 1.0.3705)"

> Let me see if I understand your setup correctly.
>
> * You have a 404 error document set to /go/index.cfm
> * You request a non-existent document /go/casestudies
> * That invokes /go/index.cfm
> * Here you want gain knowledge about the original request
>    (/go/casestudies), but are unable to?

That's it _exactly_.

AFAICT, IIS is *incorrectly* returning the value of the query string
variable as "casestudies". We can tell that the original request
 http://www.fairbanks.co.uk/go/casestudies
doesn't contain a query string, but in IIS, if you add a custom 404 for
that folder and tell the web server to serve up "/go/index.cfm" when a
404 is thrown, the ColdFusion variable cgi.query_string in the page
"/go/index.cfm" evaluates to "casestudies".

I believed that the cgi scope (certainly in ColdFusion) contained a
collection of environment variables, some provided by the client and
some by the web server. I guessed that IIS incorrectly reported the
query_string to ColdFusion as "casestudies". I was using this behaviour
in "/go/index.cfm" to determine what the original request was.

It appears as though Apache was reports the information correctly --
i.e. that there was no query string in the original request, nor in the
redirection.

However, I'd have thought some other cgi variable would contain the
value "casestudies", perhaps cgi.http_referer. Unfortunately, it doesn't
seem to -- if you dump the entire cgi associative array to the page, the
string "casestudies" doesn't appear anywhere.

--
Aidan Whitehall <mailto:aidanwhitehall@fairbanks.co.uk>
Macromedia ColdFusion Developer

http://www.star.net.uk