httpd-users mailing list archives

From Donna Robinson <do...@terpsichore.ws>
Subject [users@httpd] mod_rewrit (sic)
Date Sun, 22 Jun 2003 21:23:49 GMT
Hi all,

I have spent the last 2 days fruitlessly searching for an answer to this one,
so pls forgive if I have missed something obvious.

The Situation:
------------------
I've built a site at home, having carefully tweaked my setup to mimic my
host-to-be's commercial setup as closely as I could.  Sat down Fri pm to
upload it - all went well, or so I thought.

The Problem:
-----------------
.htaccess (of course).  Here 'tis in all its glory:
# set the include path
php_value include_path "/home/donna/www/php"
# prepend these files to every .html file
php_value auto_prepend_file "funcs.php"
# redirect all calls to /php/loader.php
RewriteEngine on
RewriteRule !\.(ico|gif|png|css)$ /home/donna/www/php/loader.php

Having experimented somewhat, I find that it's the call to mod_rewrite that is
stuffing things up.  However, unless I am to rebuild the site from scratch,
it's kindof essential.  The logs show a 500 error (internal server error, I
looked it up), followed by some other number (a byte offset??), and nothing
else of help.

Having run phpinfo() on my host-to-be's site, I find:
php version 4.2.3.
Apache Version Apache/1.3.27
Loaded Modules mod_php4, ... ... ...mod_imap, mod_auth, mod_access,
mod_actions, mod_asis, mod_dir, mod_cgi, mod_frontpage, mod_rewrit, mod_so,
mod_proxy, mod_alias, mod_userdir, http_core

Before I built my new site I had checked all this stuff, and (silly me)
thought that "mod_rewrit" (on their site) == "mod_rewrite" (at home).  Unless
I guess wrong, this is turning out not to be so.  What really mystifies me is
how little there is out there on this problem - a few questions, but no
solutions, except for a couple of twits offering "they spelt it wrong when
they compiled it".  I don't believe this - try typing "mod_rewrit" or
"Rewrit/1.1a" into google, and you will see 99% of the guys out there
offering hosting have exactly this spelling.

I did find one little gem, but it isn't of any real use:
"Their server does not use mod_rewrite, but a custom modified version called
mod_rewrit, trimmmed down to be more secure, with most features left out".

I presume this is a security thing: since HTTP is a stateless protocol, the
server depends entirely on the client to provide acurrate referral
information, and a savvy person can manipulate it at the client end or on a
proxy server.

HOWEVER, I need, I *want* to make this work.  What do I do?  How do I do it?
And why, oh why, isn't there info out there re this?  Nothing whatsoever on
the entire apache site, can you believe.  What is Rewrit  1/1a?  Where does
it live, and who is skilled in its care and feeding?

Donna
( who is rapidly heading towards a nervous breakdown on this one)