httpd-users mailing list archives

From Issa Mbodji <issambo...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] My Apache Access Log
Date Sun, 22 Jun 2003 14:34:43 GMT
Thanks for the clarification. But my other question then is if there is a way for me to stop
these messages from showing in my log file. It is good to know that there is no harm or Apache
users, but it will be great if I find a way to stop it.

Thanks,

Tim Wort <tim@pobox.com> wrote:

The two log entries you mentioned are from nimda and code red worms (not
virus), they infect unpatched IIS (Microsoft's Internet Information
Server) web servers but not apache. Once a IIS webserver in infected the
worm attempts to connect to other IP address on port 80 looking for
another server to infect. It isn't a problem for apache users other than
the noise in your log files.

The worms are well known, the servers (IIS) are patchable it's to bad that
so many Microsoft users either do not know they have IIS running or are to
lazy to clean up their systems and patch or just don't have enough
knowledge to do something about it or in most cases arn't even aware they
are infected.

I would go on but then the nine out of ten Microsoft users that aren't
knowlegeable would take exception and think this is just a flame, I don't
have time (for them). I think your log files speak for themselves.

On Sun, 22 Jun 2003, Mac Serve wrote:

> What is a "NimdA@" virus and what is a "IIS server"? Never herd of them.
>
> - Mike

= Inkling Research Inc. =