httpd-users mailing list archives

From Lothar =?unknown-8bit?Q?M=E4rkle?= <lot...@netpioneer.de>
Subject [users@httpd] mod_cgi and kill_after_timeout
Date Fri, 13 Jun 2003 15:25:51 GMT
Hello apache users,

does anyone know how to increase the time apache will wait
before sending a SIGKILL to cgi-processes?
Or to change the kill-policy used with subprocesses?

my problem:

I'm using BerkeleyDB from my perl-cgi-scripts, but I don't know how
to close the database in case of signals in an reliable way. I do
this in my signal handler(SIGTERM and SIGPIPE), but occasionally
this closing takes longer than 3 seconds and then apache uses
SIGKILL to *kill* the child.

I believe that, since closing the database involves removing handles
from shared memory, the cgi-process is waiting for a exclusive lock
on the shared memory region.

There is nothing you can do about a SIGKILL, and so the shared memory
region is left inconsistent.

Since this a load-dependend issue, this time values should be set
in the config...but any ideas?

thx
lothar

--
Lothar Märkle - lothar@netpioneer.de
Netpioneer GmbH - Beiertheimer Allee 18a - D-76137 Karlsruhe