httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Robert Andersson" <rob...@profundis.nu>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Best way to include thousands of vhosts
Date Thu, 19 Jun 2003 10:22:15 GMT
thijmen@xs4all.nl wrote:
> i am looking for the most resource friendly way of including *lots* of
> virtual hosts. They all share the same DocumentRoot and other settings,
> just the hostname is different.
> I could have, within one VirtualHost, a ServerAlias list with space
> limited hostnames, but i dont know the limits of it. What is the maximum
> line length of the .conf file? What is the maximum number of hostnames i
> could append at the ServerAlias directive?

To get an exact answer you'd have to look at the source or ask the
developers, but my guess is that the limits are proportional to the
machine's memory.

> Or should i just make a VirtualHost on the ip addres and have it as first
> entry, so all not configured hostnames will default to that?
> (most probably that is the answer, but i would still like to know the
> limits of .conf files in the question above.

Yes, define a single virtual host in the config. If a request comes to
Apache and it cannot match the Host: header to any defined virtual host, it
will serve the first defined. It is a bit more tricky if you want to have
hosts for which you don't want this behaviour, or want to have more than one
of these catch-all hosts, in a singe instance of Apache.

Regards,
Robert Andersson