httpd-users mailing list archives

From A L <a_linde...@comcast.net>
Subject [users@httpd] browsing Apache server within LAN SLOW!
Date Wed, 11 Jun 2003 00:48:36 GMT
Hi-

I'm not 100% certain my problem has to do with Apache only (although I'm 98%
sure!)- FTP seems to be a bit slow too (logins are, transferring isn't bad
though.)  I do NOT have this problem from outside my router/cable modem!
This problem occurs for both static pages and dynamically generated pages.

Whenever I try to browse my server either from the server or from another
computer in the LAN, the speeds are really slow- and pages often time out.
Here are important stats:

Red Hat 9.0
P2-400MHz
Red Hat's Apache 2.0.40 build 21

I have a wireless router hooking up the computers.  The router is plugged
into a cable modem.  The server is wired into the router.  The router claims
to be switched, not shared hub.

I've been a tad slow at diagnosing this problem- I've actually had it for
the last couple of years.  I recently upgraded from Red Hat 7.3 to 9.0.  I
also had the problem with all the Red Hat's 7.x.  I don't think I had it
with Red Hat 6.x.  I recently replaced a wired router for my wireless
router- and had the same problem with the old router.

I have a domain- let's call it domain.com.  The router is configured to pass
all port 80 queries on to the linux box.  I have a DDNS service passing all
domain.com traffic onto the outside IP address of my router.

Browsing the server from inside the LAN with both http://domain.com/webpage
and http://explicit_name.domain.com/webpage prove to be slow.  It's also
slow if I use the IP address.  The IP address of my Linux box is "hard
coded" (not DHCP...)

I also use IMAP and Samba from the linux box within the LAN- I don't have
any speed problems there.

Thanks for any help or pushes in the right direction!

ps- I saw this thread in the archives:

http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=apache-httpd-users&m=104394559116108&w=2

it says to search for the thread with keywords "deadlock pipes read write
mod_cgi", but that search came up empty...