httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Sander Holthaus - Orange XL" <i...@orangexl.com>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] Best way to include thousands of vhosts
Date Thu, 19 Jun 2003 12:54:54 GMT
The answer is in the documentation. There is a specific module for this
purpose, http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/mod/mod_vhost_alias.html .

Kind Regards,
Sander Holthaus

-----Original Message-----
From: 5468696A6D656E [mailto:thijmen@xs4all.nl]
Sent: donderdag 19 juni 2003 12:12
To: users@httpd.apache.org
Subject: [users@httpd] Best way to include thousands of vhosts

Hi,

i am looking for the most resource friendly way of including *lots* of
virtual hosts. They all share the same DocumentRoot and other settings, just
the hostname is different. I could have an VirtualHost entry for all of
them, which would make reading the .conf file slow (option A) I could have,
within one VirtualHost, a ServerAlias list with space limited hostnames, but
i dont know the limits of it. What is the maximum
line length of the .conf file? What is the maximum number of hostnames i
could append at the ServerAlias directive? Or should i just make a
VirtualHost on the ip addres and have it as first entry, so all not
configured hostnames will default to that? (most probably that is the
answer, but i would still like to know the limits of .conf files in the
question above.

Th.

--
__Thijmen Klok________