httpd-users mailing list archives

From André Malo ...@perlig.de>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Downloading tar.gz's from Apache
Date Wed, 07 May 2003 14:48:02 GMT
* Rekha Deshmukh wrote:

> I am new to the Apache web server, as well as to the web development. We
> have few tar.gz files kept on our site for download. When clicked on the
> hyperlink to download one of these, 'Save As' dialog box appears but the
> file is saved as tar.tar. The file gets opened properly only when the
> extension is changed to tar.gz. Are there any settings to be done on Apache
> web server for this? Or this is not the web server problem? Please guide me
> on this.

This is an unwise default configuration (we're currently considering a
change).

Just remove the

AddEncoding x-gzip .gz

from the config. Or perhaps better (if you have, for example, .html.gz
files, which are supposed to be delivered with gzip encoding), put:

<Files *.tar.gz>
  RemoveEncoding .gz
</Files>

somewhere (in the appropriate scope; global is not the worst choice).

nd
--
Gib' mal folgendes in die Kommandozeile ein (und einen Moment warten):

net send localhost "Buuuh!"
Na, erschreckt?                              -- Markus Becker in mpdsh