httpd-users mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Monitoring number of users
Date Fri, 09 May 2003 20:03:31 GMT

On Fri, 9 May 2003, Jason M. Kuhlman wrote:
> I don't really know where to start to look for this information.  I have
> apache 1.3.27 on a win 2k server.  I would like to log how many users are
> visiting my website at any given time using MRTG, RRD tools, etc.  Is there
> some setting in the conf file to log this? Can I get this information from
> the access log? Can I use counter logs on the built in performance monitor?
> Does anyone have OIDs or MIBs for Apache? Or any other ideas?

I am by no means an expert in this area, but here are a few comments:

1. The concept of "user" is not well defined in http.  You can monitor the
number of client connections to the server, but this is only vaguely
related to the number of users.

2. There is a module called mod_snmp that has floated around.  I have
never used it, and I don't know what it does.  I also believe that some of
the commercial apache distributors (Covalent?) have developed snmp
modules.

3. A poor-man's version of this could be obtained by configuring
mod_status, and using the logserverstatus script contained in the support
directory of the apache distribution.  Then you could parse whatever you
need out of these logs.

4. You could, perhaps, get the same information out of the normal access
logs, but it would be complicated, and would not work in real time
(nothing is logged until after a request is complete).

Joshua.