httpd-users mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] CGI Error
Date Thu, 08 May 2003 23:57:52 GMT

On Thu, 8 May 2003, Cody Harris wrote:
> >Now type
> >chmod -x /usr/sbin/suexec
> >then restart apache and try your cgi script again.
>
> Error 500 (Still)
>
> >This will disable suexec which, since you had no idea you where using it,
> >seems like a good idea.
>
> Oh? isn't it needed?

No.  It has a specific purpose, but it is not necessary.  See:
http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/suexec.html
if you are interested.

As far as your problem goes, please make absolutely sure that you followed
my directions correctly (type httpd -l again and make sure it says "suexec
disabled" and make absolutely sure that you restarted apache).

We have already found two different configuration problems that
independently would have prevented you from executing cgi scripts.  Having
a third would be unlikely, but possible.

If it still isn't working, please try a trivial cgi-script like this:

#!/bin/sh
echo Content-Type: text/plain
echo
echo Testing 1 2 3

Make sure it works from the command line, then try it from the web and
report the exact and full error messages that you get (if any).

Joshua.