httpd-users mailing list archives

From n...@daimlerchrysler.com
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Will the server performance be affected very much?
Date Fri, 23 May 2003 14:55:57 GMT

It's likely that this will affect performance since it will have to check
each request against each of the 538. Check out the program ab that comes
with apache and is installed in the apache bin directory. This program will
generate HTTP requests against the web server and allow you to see what
kind of impact config changes will have on your web server. So run it once
without the ACLs and once with the ACLs.

ab runs something like this:

./ab -n 1000 -c 100 http://localhost/index.html

just run ./ab without any options to see the help page

You'll want to run this on a test box because it will slam your web server.
You'll probably also want to run it on the same box as the web server so
you don't tax your network.

-Norm
|-----------------------------+-------------------------------------------|
|   "ccw" <ccw@pair.com>      |                                           |
|                             |                                           |
|   05/23/2003 10:46 AM       |                                         To|
|                             |                <users@httpd.apache.org>   |
|         Please respond to   |                                         cc|
|      users@httpd.apache.org |                                           |
|                             |                                    Subject|
|                             |                [users@httpd] Will the     |
|                             |                server performance be      |
|                             |                affected very much?        |
|                             |                                           |
|                             |                                           |
|                             |                                           |
|                             |                                           |

Hi, in order to prevent users from some specific IP addresses to access my
web site, I use "Deny From" followed with 538 IP addresses in .htaccess(all
are IP numbers with the format 'xx.xx.xx.xx/xx', for example, '66.08.0.0
/20'). My problem is, whether such a large group of denied IP addresses in
.htaccess will affect the server speed or performance very much, since each
time a user tries to access my website, Apache server will compare his IP
address with the denied IP addresses? Thanks.