httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Joel Parramore" <parramo...@homes.com>
Subject [users@httpd] Apache 2 (2.0.45) CGI daemon (mod_cgid) dying without restart
Date Fri, 09 May 2003 14:03:02 GMT

Hello all,

I'm running Apache 2.0.45 (with the worker mpm) under Solaris 7 (SunOS mmsrv05
5.7 Generic_106541-24 sun4u sparc SUNW,Ultra-80, if you want some of the gory
details) and am having a problem with the cgid daemon process continuing to run,
i.e., it doesn't.  What's worse is that it doesn't get restarted by Apache; the
remaining httpd processes keep running but requests to the webserver just get a
"503" error handed back to them.  Stopping Apache and starting it restarts the
cgid child as well, but it eventually fails again (anywhere from a few minutes
to a couple of hours).  The CGI programs that we're running are Pro-C programs
that have been running under Netscape Enterprise Server v3.62 without a problem.

The only error that I've seen in the Apache error log that correlates to the
process dying is

	"[notice] child pid 2820 exit signal Broken pipe (13)"

after which the

	"(3)No such process: cgid daemon is gone; is Apache terminating?"

errors start rolling in.

I also haven't been able to duplicate the problem in our development
environment, unfortunately.  truss'ing the cgid child in production to see what
it's doing presents other difficulties at present.  Before I started digging
deeper, I tried checking the mailing lists and Apache bug database but didn't
have any light shed from those sources.

If anyone else encountered similar problems with this (admittedly
lightly-described configuration), or can point me to some possibilities to check
on further, that'd be great.

Regards,
Joel