httpd-users mailing list archives

From Jeremy Madea <J.Ma...@mdl.com>
Subject [users@httpd] [Repost] SSL Appliance and mod_proxy
Date Thu, 08 May 2003 19:51:19 GMT

(Please excuse my reposting of this question. I'm hoping someone with some
insight sees it.)

Relevant setup is

client --> ssl accelerator --> server1 --> server2

The accelerator handles SSL processing and forwards requests to server1 on a
non-standard port (it also passes traffic on 80 through to port 80 on
server1.) Server1 is reverse proxying to server2. When headers are
re-written by server1, it isn't aware that it is actually servicing a secure
request. The accelerator appliance cannot rewrite HTTP headers.

We are currently testing two workarounds. One is a hack to mod_proxy_http to
force it to rewrite the headers according to our needs. The other is a
separate module that implements ap_hook_http_method() and overrides it to
return "https".

My question:

1) Has anyone here encountered the same kind of difficulty and, if so, how
did you address it?

Also, if we aren't missing a much simpler way of handling this, are there
any pitfalls we may be overlooking in our workarounds?

Many thanks,

-j

--
Jeremy Madea