httpd-users mailing list archives

From Jeremy Madea <J.Ma...@mdl.com>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] Error Logs
Date Thu, 08 May 2003 05:33:51 GMT
On Wednesday, May 07, 2003 9:02 PM, vizion communication wrote:

> Unless there is a standard disciplined approach to
> documentation which assumes zero knowledge then any part of
> the documentation that assumes knowledge needs to point to
> another documenet which explains in precise and succinst
> terms exactly what is assumed

Paraphrasing that:

Unless there is a standard disciplined approach to documentation there must
be a standard disciplined approach to documentation.

Maybe in a perfect world... In this world, it is common practice to expect
people to -seek- knowledge that they don't have.

This is actually a good thing, I think, for various reasons. It rewards
resourcefulness. It avoids the slippery slope where, at some point, every
document points to a dictionary, grammar text, and encyclopedia. And it
eliminates the need to make assumptions about the reader.

That last is very important. If there are a thousand texts that explain the
prior knowledge necessary to understand my documentation, which one should I
point at for my reader? Some may prefer one text and others may prefer
another. Whether or not something is "precise and [succinct]" is subjective.
Besides, often enough, no existing documents meet those criteria.

-j

--
Jeremy Madea
"My two cents aren't worth a dime."