httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Boyle Owen" <Owen.Bo...@swx.com>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] Antwort: [users@httpd] can't see index.html on simple websites
Date Tue, 06 May 2003 14:11:01 GMT

Normally, this is a sure sign that the HTML is NOT valid... typically, a
missing </table> tag would do this. I know you *think* the HTML is fine
but are you sure? Did you run it through an HTML verifier (see w3c)? Did
you try with a "hello world" HTML file?

>The larger problem, however, is the fact that the
>documentroot is
>not being resolved correctly - there is an index.html file in the
>DocRoot, but it does not display unless specifically requested.

Check your DirectoryIndex directive. If you set this to something and
don't include index.html in the list, this default filename is no longer
the default.

What happens anyway, do you get a directory listing or a 403?

Rgds,
Owen Boyle

>    Thanks for your help.
>
>    Kevin
>
>Dietmar.Mueller@eurotours.at wrote:
>
>>Be shure  that the index.html  is a valid HTML file.
>>
>>Netscape show a blank site when there are some errors
>>with table tags. Sometimes you can see the error
>>when you open the source from the html with the netscape
>>browser. The error is marked with blinking font.
>>
>>I hope this help you.
>>
>>Dietmar
>>

>>Kevin D'Elia <kevinmail@comcast.net> am 06.05.2003 14:02:43
>>
>>Bitte antworten an users@httpd.apache.org
>>
>>An:    users@httpd.apache.org
>>Kopie:
>>Thema: [users@httpd] can't see index.html on simple websites
>>

>>Hello,
>>
>>    I am trying to learn Apache, and have the following setup:
>>
>>    Windows 2000 with Apache 2.0.45 installed as a service; I
>can go to
>>localhost just fine.
>>
>>    I have modified my etc/hosts to have two DNS names mapped to the
>>same IP address, as in:
>>
>>10.10.32.122    www.butterthlies.com            # test host one
>>10.10.32.122    sales.butterthlies.com            # test host two
>>
>>    (if this looks familiar, I am using "Apache:  The
>Definitive Guide"
>>as my study text)
>>
>>    I have the following httpd.conf:
>>
>># Minimal configuration file
>>ServerName 10.10.32.122
>>Listen 81
>>DocumentRoot c:/cygwin/usr/www/APACHE3/site.first/htdocs
>>PIDFile logs/httpd.pid
>>LoadModule log_config_module "c:/Program Files/Apache
>>Group/Apache2/modules/mod_log_config.so"
>>TransferLog logs/access.log
>>ErrorLog logs/error.log
>>
>>    I start Apache like this:
>>
>>apache -d ./site.first (I am in the parent directory of site.first)
>>
>>    Apache starts up fine, since there are entries in the PID file and
>>the error log for the processes, which map to those in the
>Task Manager.
>>
>>    Now, when I try to go to "www.butterthlies.com:81" from either
>>Netscape or Internet Explorer, I get
>>"The requested URL / was not found on this server." from Netscape and
>>"Page cannot be displayed" from IE.  If I go to
>>"http://www.butterthlies.com:81/index.html", Netscape shows me the raw
>>HTML, while IE shows me the formatted HTML, from which I can navigate
>>normally.
>>
>>    I thought at first that the Apache service was creating some
>>conflict, but shutting it down and trying all this again did not help
>>the problem.
>>
>>    What am I doing wrong?
>>
>>    Thanks in advance to all who respond.
>>
>>    Kevin