httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Boyle Owen" <Owen.Bo...@swx.com>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] apache authentication
Date Wed, 28 May 2003 08:53:36 GMT

I don't know how your HTTP and HTTPS sites are related so it's a bit
difficult to answer definitively but I guess they are served from
different DocRoots (they're obviously different VHs). In any case, the
point is that it is the *browser* that prompts you for a password. Every
time you try to access a resource which is behind an authentication,
apache requires an Authorization header. It is up to the browser to
decide whether to send this. If the browser recognises the URL as being
a sub-dir of a dir for which it already has a password, it sends it
automatically from its cache. However, if the browser doesn't recognise
the URL, it makes a request without an Authorization header and so gets
a 401 back. This causes it to prompt for the password.

Off the top of my head, I don't know if a browser regards
http://server/dir as the same resource as https://server/dir so I don't
know if it would automatically submit the PW to the HTTPS version if it
already had it for the HTTP site. If the URLs are different (e.g.
http://server/dir1 and https://server/dir2) then it will certainly not
do so and you'd have to login twice.

Rgds,
Owen Boyle

>Thanks
>jerry

>Find a cheaper internet access deal - choose one to suit you.
>http://www.msn.co.uk/internetaccess

l'activité boursière de la SWX Swiss Exchange

views of the sender's company.