httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Boyle Owen" <Owen.Bo...@swx.com>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] SSL + 2.40 redhat
Date Tue, 13 May 2003 07:56:53 GMT

Sure you can - Listen directives are additive. By default, apache
listens to every IP address on port 80. Then, once you start to specify
IP addresses, you defeat the default and apache listens ONLY to that
address. However, if you have more than one Listen address, apache will
listen to all specified addresses.

My personal opinion is that as soon as things get more than a little
complicated (i.e. more than one IP address) you should abandon defaults
and specify each address explicitly. Typing is cheap, clarity is
priceless. Other people prefer to use wildcards - which is fine too,
either is good... As long as you and those who come after you can
understand what's going on.

>Doesn't the <VirtualHost> container have to specify literally
>the same port that is named in the "NameVirtualHost" declaration?
>Wouldn't it be better to use a wild card declaring the
>Virtual Host Ports.
>NameVirtualHost 192.168.0.3:*
><VirtualHost 192.1689.0.3:*>

This might work if all your port-based VHs are plain HTTP. But if any
are SSL, this won't work since you can't do name-based VHs on SSL. If
you want to save typing, it's probably better to wildcard the address
rather than the port:

Listen 80
NameVirtualHost *:80
<VirtualHost *:80>

Or if you don't care about ports, just go completely with defaults and
wildcards:

NameVirtualHost *
<VirtualHost *>

Check up the tutorial