httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Boyle Owen" <Owen.Bo...@swx.com>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] [notice] child pid xxxxx exit signal Segmentation fault (11)
Date Mon, 12 May 2003 08:26:07 GMT

A segmentation fault occurs when a program tries to access a memory
location which is outside the area allocated to it. The OS detects this
dangerous behaviour and shuts it down. This usually happens when you
have an inconsistent compilation of a program which is using shared
objects and/or libraries.

In your case, apache is (possibly) loading a Dynamic Shared Oject (i.e.
mod_ssl) which then accesses third-party library functions (OpenSSL). A
seg fault can arise if one or more of these components is upgraded (and
hence recompiled) without recompiling the others.

If you have (for example) upgraded OpenSSL, you should recompile apache
against the new openssl libs.

Rgds,
Owen Boyle

>TIA