httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Boyle Owen" <Owen.Bo...@swx.com>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] Caching Proxy
Date Thu, 08 May 2003 13:27:10 GMT

Not really... mod_proxy allows the apache server to map a remote machine
into it's webspace. To save me typing, there's a perfect example of how
it works on the ProxyPassReverse doc-page:

	http://httpd.apache.org/docs/mod/mod_proxy.html#proxypassreverse

So what you'd do is:

   ProxyPass         /slow/ http://slow-server/
   ProxyPassReverse  /slow/ http://slow-server/

then when you get a request to your front-end server of:

	http://front-end-server/slow/page.html

your server will fetch http://slow-server/page.html and return it to the
client. Since your server is now a proxy, it will cache data and you can
control it with all the various Cache* directives.

To clear up the confusion about port 8080, this is a typical trick for
people who want to run an open proxy - perhaps to connect lots of
internal machine to the internet via one machine. Then you set up a
special port-based VH on an unused port (traditionally 8080) like this:

	Listen 8080
	<VirtualHost ip:8080>

		# First make sure only your users can use this open
proxy
		<Directory proxy:*>
			Order Deny,Allow
			Deny from all
			Allow from 192.168  # i.e. your network
		</Directory>

		# Now enable proxying
		ProxyRequests on
	</VirtualHost>

Now any browser on the 192.168.0.0 network can make a request to
your-server:8080 for any external URL and your server will fetch it for
them. But I don't think this is what you want...

Rgds,
Owen Boyle

>> - mod_proxy is an extension module. It is not compiled by
>default. You
>> have to specify that you want it when you compile apache. Did you do
>> this? If you're not sure, look in the libexec or modules
>directory (if
>> your using DSO) or do "httpd -l" to list compiled in modules.
>
>It's compiled as a DSO module and it's in the module directory and it's
>loaded in the config.
>
>> - if you have it loaded, how are you using it? What
>directives did you
>> add to the config?
>
>I used the default that comes with Apache:
>
>ProxyRequests    On
>CacheRoot "/var/www/proxy"
>CacheSize 5
>CacheGcInterval 4
>CacheMaxExpire 24
>CacheLastModifiedFactor 0.1
>CacheDefaultExpire 1
>
>> - knowing your OS and apache version would be a help, BTW.
>
>I'm running Apache 1.3.27 on Linux.
>
>Thanks
>
>Jean-Rene Cormier

views of the sender's company.