httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Porter, Mark" <Mark.Por...@LibertyMutual.com>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] Redirect question
Date Tue, 06 May 2003 13:25:15 GMT
We're having the same problem with Cisco load balancers, a Rainbow Igate
SSL accelerator, and Iplanet Web Server 4.1. I haven't tried it with
Apache, but I suspect the problem will still be there.

We had the accelerator vendor write a code update that looks for a
redirect containing http instead of https, and the port appended to the
host with a :. (we're using port translation, so the web server is
actually bound to :84)

Remember that if you leave the trailing / off a directory object, the
web server actually sends a redirect to the browser, containing the
trailing /. The Igate intercepts the redirect, and rewrites it to be
https, and (in our case) removes the :84.

-----Original Message-----
From: P. Dwayne Miller [mailto:dmiller@espgroup.net]
Sent: Tuesday, May 06, 2003 9:01 AM
To: users@httpd.apache.org
Subject: [users@httpd] Redirect question

Currently, we have an F5 LoadBalancer with SSL accelerator installed in
front of the web server.  The F5 is handling requests for
https://my.domain.com and the web server sees requests on port 80.  If
the user sends a request without the trailing slash (i.e.
https://my.domain.com/order, where order is a directory), a redirect
occurs from the web server, but it seems to redirect the client browser
back to http://my.domain.com/order/.  This request does not connect as
port 80 is blocked at the firewall.

The questions is... is this something that I need to set up in the
Apache config to cause the redirect to be properly written to https?  Or

something that the F5 should be handling.

Tks,
Dwayne