httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Dmitri Bichko" <dbic...@genpathpharma.com>
Subject [users@httpd] "Fake" virtual hosts
Date Tue, 13 May 2003 15:24:29 GMT
Hi,

Is it possible to set up two instances of Apache on the same IP and on
the same port to handle requests to two different names?  In other
words, rather than having two virtual servers on the same instance
handling alias1.mydomain.com and alias2.mydomain.com, I want them to go
to two different servers - is this possible?

Thanks,
Dmitri

-----Original Message-----
From: sjm [mailto:sjm@porter.acadaff.appstate.edu]
Sent: Tuesday, May 13, 2003 10:53 AM
To: users@httpd.apache.org
Subject: Re: [users@httpd] Nesting the Files section in httpd.conf

Apache starts fine.  I restart it everytime I change httpd.conf, and
then check
the error log.  I then type in the URL and the page displays with no
authorization.  The error log doesn't mention not being able to find the

.htpasswd file or anything.  I do not have it nested within an <IfModule
...>
directive.  I don't think you're being patronizing.  I have only been
using
apache for a year, and am still very much in the learning process.

-Thanks again,
Steve

William Wilson wrote:

> On Tuesday 13 May 2003 14:58, sjm wrote:
>

>>"...Note that <Files> can be nested inside <Directory> sections to
restrict
>>the portion of the filesystem they apply to."
>>
>>	-- http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/mod/core.html#files
>

> Yep, Zac just pointed this out. You're both quite right. It does
appear that
> they're nestable. I've never used them that way, hence my original
reply. And
> if it was nested inside the directory you think it would resolve
against the
> directory path, as the doc suggest.
>

>>I am now using this:
>>
>><Directory /var/www/html/sitename/maint/users/>
>>     AllowOverride AuthConfig
>></Directory>
>>
>><Files /var/www/html/sitename/maint/users/protected.file>
>>     AuthType Basic
>>     AuthName "Protected File"
>>     AuthUserFile /path/to/.htpasswd
>>     Require user user_name
>></Files>
>>
>>and it doesn't work either.
>

> Forgive me if I'm being patronising; do you have the above enclosed in
an
> <IfModule ...> directive? And when you say it doesn't work, does
apache start
> OK with no complaints but just not respond in the manner you expect?
>

> Will
>

> - --
> Will Wilson
>
> Applied Generics Ltd