httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Victor B. Gonzalez" <apacheusergr...@vbgunz.com>
Subject Re[2]: [users@httpd] Installing and configuring Apache2 to work with *Subst* Directories...
Date Mon, 26 May 2003 13:25:29 GMT
Hello Laurent,

LB> Well, first, an obvious question :-)
LB> Why do you need to use "subst" at all?
LB> I don't see how it can help...

I've been working long and hard with a proprietary server combining
some OS scripts to work together in harmony... I've managed to create
a perfect all in one drop package but the proprietary license is
holding me back.

An OS server helps to keep everything GPL and a subst drive helps to
keep everything in order across all or most win platforms.

LB> If Windows XP is anything like Windows 2000 (or DOS, for that matter),
LB> forward slash won't do for command line.
LB> You should use backslashes in your scripts.
LB> But that's not Apache's problem anyway :-)

Sorry, for the mistake, I've gotten into the bad habit from finding
myself editing php and perl scripts and always using the forward slash
:)

LB> Could you please provide a sample from Apache's error log?

If you're referring to the logs inside Apache2/logs then theirs only
one log with content. It is the *install* log and it reads...

Installing Apache HTTP 2.0 server with
 DomainName =  VALUED-2CAD4949
 ServerName =  VALUED-2CAD4949
 ServerAdmin = admin@VALUED-2CAD4949
 ServerPort =  8080
 ServerRoot =  Z:/Apache
Rewrote Z:/Apache/conf/httpd-win.conf
 to Z:/Apache/conf/httpd.default.conf
Successfully removed Z:\Apache\conf\httpd-win.conf
Duplicated Z:/Apache/conf/httpd.default.conf
 to Z:/Apache/conf/httpd.conf
Duplicated Z:/Apache/conf/ssl.default.conf
 to Z:/Apache/conf/ssl.conf
Duplicated Z:/Apache/conf/magic.default
 to Z:/Apache/conf/magic
Duplicated Z:/Apache/conf/mime.types.default
 to Z:/Apache/conf/mime.types
Successfully removed Z:\Apache\conf\InstallConf.awk

Using the command line switch to install the service always works but
starting it is the problem. It doesn't start and doesn't leave any
errors in the error log... Through the cmd prompt it seems to start
fine...

The only error I do see is when I try starting the server in the
Windows Service Manager. The error reads:

"Could not start the Apache2 service on Local Computer (I am the only
admin on the box) Error 3: The system cannot find the path specified.

Thats everything, thank you for your interest in my question as I
seriously searched the mailing list, newsgroups and net and come up
empty...

I hope I was as upfront as needed to be to help others understand my
motive behind the need for a subst drive...

Thanks again :)

--
Best regards,
 Victor B. Gonzalez

Apache_2.0.45-win32-x86-no_ssl
Windows XP 5.1 Build 2600 Service Pack 1