httpd-users mailing list archives

From Denise Mangano <Deni...@complusdata.com>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] heeeeelp :-)
Date Wed, 07 May 2003 13:07:10 GMT
Apache itself cannot serve servlets.  You need to install a JSP/Servlet
container, such as Tomcat.  You also need mod_jk to act as a connector
between Apache and Tomcat so that you can serve your static pages through
Apache and pass control to Tomcat when serving your dynamic pages
(servlets). [On a side note you can use Tomcat as a standalone web server,
but Apache handles static content more efficiently hence the notion of
having Apache serve the static content]. When I had to get Tomcat and mod_jk
up and running on my RH 7.3 box I subscribed to the Tomcat list and got A
TON of help.  Here are a few sites to get you started:

http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/index.html is all your information about
Tomcat and the different versions. Look for the Mailing List link under "Get
Involved".

Here is a good "How-To":
http://www.johnturner.com/howto/apache-tomcat-howto.html .  Ignore the
instructions for the Apache installation since you have it installed
already.  You can use the instructions that are on that page... from what I
recall the only difference in the mod_jk setup between Apache 1.3.23 and
2.0.43 was that with 1.3.23 you need to add the statement AddModule mod_jk.c
as well.

Hope this helps!
Denise