httpd-users mailing list archives

From Gordon Stewart <gordo...@slingshot.co.nz>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] my rewrite question
Date Wed, 07 May 2003 15:18:48 GMT
At 02:36 AM 5/8/03 Boyle Owen wrote:-

>I suspect a typo here - do you mean
>http://group.kwister.com/cgi-bin/group/view.cgi ? (i.e. to stay on the
>same server)

Its all the same server - I just want a sub-domain to point to a folder
within my server

IE (from my actual live website)

http://nz.kwister.com/

Is the same as

http://www.kwister.com/cgi-bin/NZ/view.cgi (example - ive forgotten the
actual URL - LOL)

http://www.gordonstewart.com  is the same as
http://www.kwister.com/gordon/

http://health.kwister.com  is the same as
http://www.kwister.com/health

Its all just URL redirection to subfolders

I know it works on the Apache server of my main website.

Ive d/loaded & installed Apache at home, - As I find it very inconvenient
to change CGI scripts when my existing home server doesnt support subdomains.

Im trying to Find a suitable coding that works on the Apache server at
home, & at the live website - with Minimal or preferably - no changes
needed - when uploading..

Hopefully, When I get this 'problem' Fixed.. I can re-start programming on
a few CGI scripts & I'll be instantly shown the results of any changes -
Without needing to constantly upload 10-20-30 Kb CGI scripts to the websites

ok - Hope that makes it simple..

 >Ps - Ive checked the rewrite log file - NOTHING is shown there (but the
> >server does create one)
>
>This is significant - it indicates the the rewrite engine is never
>firing up. That, in turn, implies that the .htaccess file is not being
>read.
>
>- is it in the DocRoot dir of the groups.kwister.com server?
>- do you have "AllowOverride All" set? (I hope you don't have
>"AllowOverride None" anywhere!)
>- try putting the rewrite directives in the config to eliminate the
>possibility of a problem with the .htaccess mechanism.
>
>Rgds,

Ok -  in my httpd.conf file I have (not including the dots)
----------------------
<Directory "C:/Program Files/Apache Group/Apache2/icons">
     Options Indexes MultiViews
     AllowOverride None
     Order allow,deny
     Allow from all
</Directory>

---------------------

and

--------------
Alias /manual "C:/Program Files/Apache Group/Apache2/manual"

<Directory "C:/Program Files/Apache Group/Apache2/manual">
     Options Indexes FollowSymLinks MultiViews IncludesNoExec
     AddOutputFilter Includes html
     AllowOverride None
     Order allow,deny
     Allow from all
</Directory>

And a couple of other places - and a line on its own line - somewhere else
in the file :-

     AllowOverride None

shall I turn them all to      AllowOverride All
??

 From what I gather in your email - This is important..

Ok - Im off to bed now (3 a.m. here) will fix it tomorow when i get back
online...

G.