httpd-users mailing list archives

From James.B.M...@Hitchcock.ORG (James B. Muir)
Subject Re: [users@httpd] level of docs (was: [users@httpd] level of docs
Date Thu, 08 May 2003 13:06:51 GMT
--- You wrote:

that is nearly always the problem. I know a lot of people who would help -
if they had the time. Mostly they lose their interest later and that's it.
Just talking about "why is must be done better" doesn't help.

I'm repeating Joshua's offer: join the docs-project and point out specific
things that can be improved and how it could be done. You do not need to
actual write documentation (though it would be cool if you did ;-).
That's not meant as an offense or bucket-passing. It's really serious. We
*do* need people who are able to get the user's point of view and are able
to explain the user problems to the too-much-involved people.
(simple spoken)
--- end of quote ---

At the risk of sounding like a "whiner":
Every so often I think how certain parts of the documentation could be improved, but to get
from that point to actually getting the change out there is too involved. There are too many
steps (subscribe to newgroups, introduce myself, find out if somebody is working on topic
I want to improve, etc...).  Really, what I'd like to do would be to directly annotate in
some fashion the already existing documentation so that it would hopefully benefit myself
and others in the future and leave the difficult job of writing cogent documentation to those
who have the time and commitment to do a proper job of it.